Our Smyrna Presbyterian Church is actually the second church to bear this name. The first church was organized in April 1874 and was dissolved by Cherokee Presbytery in 1905. In October 1914, the church once again was organized at a meeting held in the Methodist Church. Seven months later the congregation voted to purchase property on which to build a church. The property was located at the corner of Church Street and Concord Road. The new church building was started in 1915 and cost $1,075.50. The first service in the new church was held January 16, 1916. Dr. J. G. Patton of Decatur Georgia was the first pastor installed in 1917.
Other ministers who have served our church include:
- Rev. Elias Zimmerman 1918-1921
- Rev. J. W. Allen 1921-1922
- Rev. Gary McClinstock 1923-1925
- Rev. E. G. Clary 1926-1932
- Rev. L. B. Gibbs 1937-1941
- Rev. W. K. Blake 1942-1943
- Rev. John L. Edwards 1945-1946
- Rev. G. Aiken Taylor 1946-1950
- Rev. John H. Knight 1952-1961
- Rev. Nathaniel S. Heeth 1962-1971
- Rev. Charles H. Dunahoo 1971-1976
- Rev. Joe C. Gardner, Jr. 1978-1982
- Dr. Thomas H. Rayside 1982-1985
- Rev. R. Grady Love 1987-1997
- Rev. George F. Ganey, III…..1998 -
A survey of the church plant was made in 1959 by a Planning Committee and it was found unfeasible to remodel. This decision led to the purchase of the acreage known as the Fuller property located between Collier Drive and Brawner’s Hospital on Atlanta Road in 1961. The property was bought for future expansion for $40,000 and consisted of twenty acres. The Old Smyrna Church was sold to the Smyrna Assembly of God in 1964. The Smyrna Church had worship services and Sunday School meetings at Brown Elementary School. A groundbreaking for the new building was held on June 28, 1964. Upon completing the present building with a sanctuary, two educational wings, and one adjoining educational building, a service of dedication was held on May 2, 1965.
The fellowship hall and kitchen were completed and dedicated in April 1985. Our newest building is a two-story educational building, containing eight classrooms, a large activity room, and much needed storage space. It was completed in 1992.
In 2001, 11.2 acres of our 20 acre property was sold to a housing developer at the price of $80,000 per acre. This property was inaccessible and unusable to us due to its being land locked with housing developments and other properties.
Recent renovations to our present facilities include the remodeling of our fellowship hall and entrance hallways, re-roofing all buildings, remodeling and updating the sanctuary and narthex, building a beautiful new portico, purchasing a large LED electronic sign for advertising and announcements, etc.
Through these facilities that God has provided, we pray that the Smyrna Presbyterian Church will show forth a strong witness to the community, that many will come to know the Lord Jesus and be strengthened in the faith.